Video shows Cannes seabed strewn with rubbish and debris


comments

Cannes in the South of France hosts the world's most glittering film festival, where the cream of Hollywood and European stars dazzle on the red carpet.

On this year from 13-24 May, the event sets the chic French Riviera town alight and is one of the highlights of the cinematic year. 

With so many stars and their attendant hangers-on in town, hotel prices go through the roof and the town booms in what for many other places along the Riviera is low season. 

Scroll down for video

But just yards from the iconic Boulevard de la Croisette, where celebs glitter in their finery on the red carpet, the waters of the Mediterranean are anything but sparkling.

And the extent of the problem has been revealed in a video made by local diver and environmentalist Laurent Lombard.

As he pans the camera across the surface of the sea, everything looks as it should be, with expensive boats bobbing on what looks like a clear azure-blue sea.

Laurent Lombard has been chronicling the state of the town's waters on his Facebook page

Laurent Lombard has been chronicling the state of the town's waters on his Facebook page

It was only when Laurent posted a video of the junk dumped in the waters around the town that the mayor announced a clean up

It was only when Laurent posted a video of the junk dumped in the waters around the town that the mayor announced a clean up

But then the camera bobs down under the water and things change dramatically.  

The video, which has now been viewed close to three million times since the 37-year old diver posted it on Facebook, shows a shocking picture of marine pollution, which Lombard says is affecting not just the town, but the wider waters of the Mediterranean. 

The problem, says Lombard, who was born close in Cannes, in the town of Fréjus, is one that affects many of the world's oceans that may appear clean on the surface but which below water reveal a dirtier picture. 

Laurent Lombard captured the rubbish floating just below the surface of the azure seas

Laurent Lombard captured the rubbish floating just below the surface of the azure seas

The problem, says Lombard, is that the Mediterranean is a closed sea making the concentration of plastic waste far higher than in the Atlantic

The problem, says Lombard, is that the Mediterranean is a closed sea making the concentration of plastic waste far higher than in the Atlantic

Lombard  highlighted the pollution of the sea around Cannes but says the problem affects a lot of the Med coast

Lombard highlighted the pollution of the sea around Cannes but says the problem affects a lot of the Med coast

Normally pollution like this is unseen by tourists and it is only divers who are aware of how much litter is on the seabed.

But the celebs in Cannes are not the only ones who risk bathing in a host of debris if they take to the sea for a swim. 

The diver has also documented pollution close to the holiday villa of former French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, his camera revealing a sea bed covered with detritus. The waters of Cap Nègre, near to Sarkozy's sprawling Mediterranean home are littered with plastic bags, bottles and paper.

Since Lombard posted his video the Mayor of Cannes has cleaned the town's waters and it is one of the few towns in the world that cleans the seabed every three years.

Glamorous Cannes is on the French Riviera and is famed for its celebrity fans and marina packed with superyachts

Glamorous Cannes is on the French Riviera and is famed for its celebrity fans and marina packed with superyachts

A royally good look: Nicole Kidman posing for photographers on the red carpet for the opening ceremony and the screening of Grace of Monaco at the 67th international film festival last year

A royally good look: Nicole Kidman posing for photographers on the red carpet for the opening ceremony and the screening of Grace of Monaco at the 67th international film festival last year

The problem, says Lombard, is that the Mediterranean is a closed sea making the concentration of plastic waste far higher than in the Atlantic. 

But those who take to the waters have nothing to fear.

'There is no danger to swimmers,' asserts Lombard. 'The most important thing is education. Do not throw anything on the street because with the rain it often ends up in our seas or rivers.'

 



IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

12 comments:

  1. I feel so happy writing this review about the Wizard Charles Group! you can as well hire him today.

    My Credit was on the poor side and I couldn’t get a house, a car or even a truck for my new business. I Couldn’t get approved for any type of loan until I read a comment about a private hacker online on how he helped some people fix their credit in the space of 2 Weeks. I gave it a try and reached out to him and to my surprise he came through. He increased my Credit score and he also topped up my Credit Card to $100,000. He did it perfectly well and removed all The negative items I had on my credit. If you are looking for a professional hacker to provide hacking solutions on Recovering Scammed funds, increase your Credit score and top up your Credit Card to any amount, Lost Bitcoin funds recovery, Social media hacks Email hacks, Bitcoin mining, Phone hacks, DMV database and a lot more, search no further. you can as well hire him today by Email: wizardcharles1@gmail.com

    WhatsApp: +1 (385) 273 0329

    visit their website to read more about them:  https://wizardcharlesgrouphackers.com/.n/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am here to testify the hand work of Wizard Brixton Group of Hackers the help me to recover my lost funds from the hands of scammers who rip me off my money and made me helpless and i could not afford to pay my bills , a friend of my help me out by given me there email : Wizardbrixton@gmail.com contacted him on WhatsApp with (+1- /807-23 ) 4-0428 ;) he will help you recover your lost funds If you have been a victim of any binary/ cryptocurrency or online scam contact Wizard Brixton Group of Hacker they're highly recommendable and were efficient in getting I initially lost 10btc refunded.

      Delete
  2. DO YOU NEED A PERSONAL/BUSINESS/INVESTMENT LOAN? CONTACT US TODAY VIA WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    HELLO
    Loan Offer Alert For Everyone! Are you financially down and you need an urgent credit/financial assistance? Or are you in need of a loan to start-up/increase your business or buy your dream house. GET YOUR INSTANT LOAN APPROVAL 100% GUARANTEED TODAY NO MATTER YOUR CREDIT SCORE. WhatsApp:+19292227023 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend professional expert Email: Vitor(AT)programmer DOT net, for Recovery Funds/ Cryptocurrency/ Recovery of Stolen Bitcoin / Bitcoin Mining/ Increase your Credit score/ MOBILE SPY REMOTE CONTROL ACCESS AUTHORIZATION. Removing Bad Records from Both Public and Private database: Whats App (+1) 519 / 398 / 1460

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing unique article direct to the point. Trust me the way you interact is literally awesome I do respect that so much. I will instantly get your rss feed to stay informed of any updates you make and as well take the advantage to share some vital information regarding the
    Online 9mm Gun Shop Glock 19 Gen 5 which many are not yet informed of it advantages compared to the other Semi automatic guns. Not over demanding, I will also take the advantage to ask for your permission to join our 179.3k members TELEGRAM CHANNEL
    As to share with us your ideas or any latest update on your blog.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you require professional help to recover your stolen cryptocurrency/Binary/Forex, forgot your password, sent BTC to wrong wallet address or hack your spouse’s phone remotely, spying on cheating spouse deleted chat conversation retrieval contact vitorzprogrammer@gmail.com WhatsApp +1 519 398 1460

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am here to testify the hand work of Wizard Brixton Group of Hackers the help me to recover my lost funds from the hands of scammers who rip me off my money and made me helpless and i could not afford to pay my bills , a friend of my help me out by given me there email : Wizardbrixton@gmail.com contacted him on WhatsApp with (+1- /807-23 ) 4-0428 ;) he will help you recover your lost funds If you have been a victim of any binary/ cryptocurrency or online scam contact Wizard Brixton Group of Hacker they're highly recommendable and were efficient in getting I initially lost 10btc refunded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hire Wizard Brixton for a clean hacking job, you can trust on him, I'm Maria James Amos from Atlanta Georgia who has been through scam victim several times and that include the process i was trying to get my first scammer and then came in contact with fake hacker online, immediately i reached out to Wizard Brixton on WhatsApp (+) 1 807/ 234/ 0428 he got all my stolen funds recovered within a prior period of 48 hours, his technology actually works well and he prove him self to be the best hacker
    contact him now and recover all your lost funds Btc, Account ,cryptocurrency, and all platform you lost your funds ,Mobile cloning ,Social media hack contact him on email : Wizardbrixton@gmail.com he is a Real Wizard and Expert in Hacking filed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you having a very low FICO score, and are desperate for a perfect and urgent fix? I confidently recommend CYBER CREDIT GURU. They cleared all negatives, late payments and collections from my credit report and boosted my FICO score from 505 to 800 excellent score, across all three bureaus within four days. CYBER CREDIT GURU does a very neat and perfect job without leaving any form of trace behind. You can give them a trial today and I bet you will never regret it. Contact: CYBERCREDITGURU (AT) GMAIL DOT COM or phone/text: +1 (650) 239 7249

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, my name is Evans from the United Kingdom am here to give a testimonial on how I meet one of the best Hacker so far on my incredible moment of pain I lost a huge amount of money to a fake investor, I invested 105,000 USD to this investment company with my belief that I will have a huge return when it was time for me to get my return they company no longer pick my calls or reply to my email I was so devasted that my sister saw my pain and sad sorrow she have no choice than to introduce me to this great hacker called Wizard Brixton. I tell him everything about my situation and he asked for the company email address and the mobile number he promises to help me retrieval my funds if I will be able to cooperate and give him the vital information needed less than 24 hours he was able to give me the necessary details about the company and how he will get my funds back without the company approval. Contact him: Wizardbrixton@gmail.com WhatsApp with (+1- /807-23 ) 4-0428 ;) I was very happy when he recovered all my funds and gave me 2% of the profit the company could have given to me . so I promise to make him go viral for everyone to contact him in different aspects of hacking software program in your life he proves the best in his job CONTACT HIM: Wizardbrixton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Everyone have you heard of the latest Hacker in town I was down with a poor credit score and I was trying to upgrade it but to no avail, until I meet wizardbrixton@gmail.com he help me to upgrade and increase my credit score a wonderful Hacker you can ever imagine
    = Wizard in Social media hack

    =Remove Criminal Records

    = Recovery of your lost voicemail

    =Hack bank accounts

    =increase your credit score

    =increase your credit card limit

    = wipe your credit card debt

    =Mastercard, PayPal, Bitcoin, WU, Money Gram with untraceable

    =Top up your Bitcoin

    +He also hacked Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat,

    = All social media hack mobile spy

    =Contact him on: WIZARDBRIXTON AT GMAIL DOT COM

    =Quick Respond on : +1- /807-23 ) 4-0428

    ReplyDelete
  11. “Most hackers ask for payment before services that they do not still render at the end but I want to introduce you to a university master’s degree holder of Princeton in Finance as well as computer geek for any sort of hacking, it can be Social Media Accounts, Forex Trading Forecasts, Credit Reports/Credit Score Lifting, School grade, Email, Credit card, contact him ( WIZARDBRIXTON AT GMAIL DOT COM) Phone hacking, Erasing criminal records, Bitcoin recovering, Instagram Hack, Facebook Hack, Lost funds recovering, Tender hacker, get Access code of the different type of phones, etc., you name it. he shows proof of work and payment is made only after service well done to your satisfaction Contact him: WIZARDBRIXTON AT GMAIL DOT COM, WhatsApp : (+1- /807-23 4-0428

    ReplyDelete